Many Irish names are English translations of Gaelic names. The name Scullon was a translation of the Gaelic name O Scolaidhe, which means student.
from very early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Scullon research.Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 117 and 1172 are included under the topic Early Scullon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
in the Middle Ages was inhabited by very few literate people. Therefore, the proper spelling of names was decided by a very select few. The surviving records for the time demonstrate that these scribes were often not consistent in their efforts for there are many spelling variations
of certain common names. Some of the variations for the name Scullon include Scully, Scally, O'Scully and others.
During the middle of the 19th century, Irish families
often experienced extreme poverty and racial discrimination in their own homeland under English rule. Record numbers died of disease and starvation, and many others, deciding against such a fate, boarded ships bound for North America. The largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s. Unfortunately, many of those Irish that arrived in Canada or the United States still experienced economic and racial discrimination. Although often maligned, these Irish people were essential to the rapid development of these countries because they provided the cheap labor required for the many canals, roads, railways, and other projects required for strong national infrastructures. Eventually the Irish went on to make contributions in the less backbreaking and more intellectual arenas of commerce, education, and the arts. Research early immigration and passenger lists revealed many early immigrants bearing the name Scullon: Peter, John, Martin and William Sculley all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870; Ben, Edward, John, Joseph, Martin, Mathew, Michael, Owen, Patrick, Peter, Thomas, and William Scully all arrived in Philadelphia between 1800 and 1870..