100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Scofield family come from? What is the English Scofield family crest and coat of arms? When did the Scofield family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Scofield family history?Today's generation of the Scofield family bears a name that was brought to England by the migration wave that was started by the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Scofield family lived in Lancashire. Their name, however, is a reference to Escoville, Normandy, the family's place of residence prior to the Norman Conquest of England in 1066.
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, Norman French and other languages became incorporated into English throughout the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Scofield include Scofield, Schofield, Scholefield and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Scofield research. Another 195 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Scofield History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Scofield Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In England at this time, the uncertainty of the political and religious environment of the time caused many families to board ships for distant British colonies in the hopes of finding land and opportunity, and escaping persecution. The voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, though, and many arrived in North America sick, starved, and destitute. Those who did make it, however, were greeted with greater opportunities and freedoms that they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make important contributions to the young nations in which they settled. Early immigration records have shown some of the first Scofields to arrive on North American shores:
Scofield Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Scofield, who landed in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1648
- Matthew Scofield, who landed in Maryland in 1668
- Robert Scofield settled in Barbados in 1693
- James and Isaac Scofield settled in Virginia in 1699
Scofield Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Wm Scofield, who arrived in New York, NY in 1811
- Joseph Scofield, aged 58, landed in New York in 1812
- Abraham Scofield, who landed in Mississippi in 1840
- James Scofield settled in Philadelphia in 1841
- Edward H Scofield, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1849
Scofield Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Scofield, who arrived in Canada in 1828
Scofield Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Jane Scofield, aged 29, a dairy maid, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Dunedin" in 1875
- Sandra Scofield (b. 1943), American novelist, essayist, editor and author, her book Beyond Deserving was a 1991 finalist for a National Book Award
- Glenni William Scofield (1817-1891), American politician, Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania (1863-1873)
- Edward Scofield (1842-1925), American politician, 19th Governor of Wisconsin (1897-1901)
- Barbara Scofield (b. 1926), American tennis player
- John Scofield (b. 1951), nicknamed "Sco", an American jazz-rock guitarist and composer, who has played and collaborated with Miles Davis, Dave Liebman, Pat Metheny, Bill Frisell, and many more
- Cyrus Ingerson Scofield (1843-1921), American theologian, minister and writer
- Dean Scofield (b. 1957), American voice actor
- Gregory Scofield (b. 1966), Canadian poet, winner of the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize in 1994
- Paul Scofield CH, CBE (1922-2008), Academy Award-winning English actor of stage and screen considered by many to have been one of the best British actors of the 20th century
- A Scofield Survey by Harriett Scofield.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
The Scofield Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Scofield Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 July 2015 at 18:51.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!