Scholten History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Scholten family
The surname Scholten was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1332 when Adam Scoler held estates in Lancashire and John de Scolay held estates in Yorkshire in 1379.
Early History of the Scholten family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Scholten research. Another 72 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Scholten History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Scholten Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Scollard, Scollart, Scollert, Scollerd, Scouler, Scoular, Scouller, Scolley, Scoulley, Scholley, Scholey, Scholar and many more.
Early Notables of the Scholten family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Scholten Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Scholten is the 18,006th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in Netherlands, the name Scholten is ranked the 58th most popular surname with an estimated 14,348 people with that name. 
Migration of the Scholten family to Ireland
Some of the Scholten family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 58 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Scholten migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Scholten Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Anna Sopha Scholten, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1787
- Anna Sopha Scholten, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1787 
- Wilhelm Scholten, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1787 
Scholten Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Matje Scholten, aged 49, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Barend Scholten, who settled in America in 1847
- Berend Hendrik Scholten, who settled in Michigan in 1847
- Jacob Scholten, aged 44, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1878 
Contemporary Notables of the name Scholten (post 1700) +
- Gerard Marie Scholten (1933-2020), Dutch politician of the KVP and later the CDA, Mayor of Heusden (1966–1976) and Schijndel (1976–1998)
- Jan Hendrik Scholten (1811-1885), Dutch Protestant theologian
- Dominique Scholten (b. 1988), Dutch footballer
- Marzio Scholten (b. 1982), Dutch jazz guitarist and composer
- Willem Scholten (1927-2005), Dutch politician, Minister of Defence (1978 –1980)
- Dorothea Margaretha "Teddy" Scholten (1926-2010), Dutch singer from Rijswijk, Winner of the Eurovision Song Contest (1959)
- Roland Scholten (b. 1965), Dutch professional darts player
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)