Santay History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name Santay is of Anglo-Saxon origin and came from when a family lived in the residence that was near the sands. Santay is a topographic surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. During the Middle Ages people were very conscious of the variations in their surroundings including the soil types. In this case the original bearers of the surname Santay were named due to their close proximity to the sands.
Early Origins of the Santay family
The surname Santay was first found in Worcestershire at Wickhamford, a parish, in the union of Evesham, Upper division of the hundred of Blackenhurst. "The church [of Wickhamford] is an exceedingly neat edifice, with a simple unpretending tower which rises prettily above the trees that environ it: in the chancel are two enriched altar-tombs with effigies in alabaster, in memory of the Sandys family, whose descendant, Lord Sandys, in 1841 repaired the entire church."  "About a mile from the church [of Woodham-Ferris in Essex] is Edwin Hall, a handsome mansion erected by Edwin Sandys, Archbishop of York." 
"At Lanarth, [in the parish of St. Keverne, Cornwall] which has been in possession of the Sandys family upwards of a century, an elegant house has been lately built by its present proprietor Lieutenant Colonel William Sandys, who spent the spring of his life in India, in those active scenes which mark and diversify the military occupation. His house, gardens, and grounds, have been raised to their present state of perfection at a vast expence; and they include every convenience which a retired situation can be expected to secure." 
Early History of the Santay family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Santay research. Another 135 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1377, 1708, 1519, 1588, 1559, 1570, 1570, 1576, 1576, 1588, 1577, 1644, 1560, 1623, 1586, 1609, 1622, 1591, 1623, 1614, 1621, 1622, 1615, 1685, 1640, 1642, 1681, 1685, 1660, 1661, 1681, 1607 and 1669 are included under the topic Early Santay History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Santay Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Santay family name include Sandys, Sands, Sandy and others.
Early Notables of the Santay family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Edwin Sandys (1519-1588), an English prelate, Bishop of Worcester (1559-1570), London (1570-1576) and Archbishop of York (1576-1588) Archbishop of York; his son, George Sandys (1577-1644), an English traveler, colonist and poet; Sir Samuel Sandys (1560-1623), an English landowner and politician, Member of Parliament for Ripon (1586) and Worcestershire (1609-1622); Sir Edwin Sandys (1591-1623)...
Migration of the Santay family to Ireland
Some of the Santay family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Santay family
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Santay surname or a spelling variation of the name include : David Sands who settled in Virginia in 1620; followed by George in 1623; William in 1623; Mary in 1648; Ellen Sands settled in New York State in 1804.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Probum non poenitet
Motto Translation: We do not repent of what is good.