The present generation of the Rowbotham family is only the most recent to bear a name that dates back to the ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture of Britain. Their name comes from having lived in Lancashire
where this local
surname was derived from the local at the roe-bottom
a residence in the depressed ground frequented by deer. Rowbotham is a topographic
surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree.
Early Origins of the Rowbotham family
The surname Rowbotham was first found in Lancashire
from very ancient times and were Lords of the Manor of Rowbottom near Ashton-under-Lyne in that shire. Some say they held a family seat
there prior to the Norman Conquest
in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Rowbotham family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rowbotham research.Another 97 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1520, 1560, 1710 and 1654 are included under the topic Early Rowbotham History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Rowbotham Spelling Variations
Until the dictionary, an invention of only the last few hundred
years, the English language lacked any comprehensive system of spelling rules. Consequently, spelling variations
in names are frequently found in early Anglo-Saxon
and later Anglo-Norman documents. One person's name was often spelled several different ways over a lifetime. The recorded variations of Rowbotham include Robottom, Roebottom, Rowbottom, Rowebottom, Robotham, Roebotham, Rowbotham, Rowebotham, Rowbarton, Roebarton, Rowebarton, Rowbothan, Roebothan, Rowbottam, Rowebottam and many more.
Early Notables of the Rowbotham family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Rowbotham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Rowbotham family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of English families boarded ships sailing to the New World in the hope of escaping the unrest found in England
at this time. Although the search for opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad took the lives of many because of the cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels, the opportunity perceived in the growing colonies of North America beckoned. Many of the settlers who survived the journey went on to make important contributions to the transplanted cultures of their adopted countries. The Rowbotham were among these contributors, for they have been located in early North American records: George Robotham who settled in Jamaica in 1762; William Robotham arrived in New York in 1679; Anne Robotham arrived in Pennsylvania in 1683; William Henry Robothan arrived in Pennsylvania in 1881.
Contemporary Notables of the name Rowbotham (post 1700)
- Samuel Rowbotham (1816-1884), English inventor and writer
- Joseph Rowbotham (1831-1899), English cricketer
- Thomas Charles Leeson Rowbotham (1823-1875), Irish landscape painter in watercolours from Dublin, son of Thomas Leeson Rowbotham (1783–1853), professor of drawing at the Royal Naval School, New Cross
- Stanley Rowbotham (1890-1979), British anaesthetist
- Sheila Rowbotham (b. 1943), British socialist feminist theorist
- Mike Rowbotham (b. 1989), Canadian amateur wrestler and professional mixed martial arts fighter
- Jason Rowbotham (b. 1969), Welsh footballer
- David Rowbotham (b. 1924), Australian poet and journalist
Historic Events for the Rowbotham family
- Markham Cyril Rowbotham (d. 1945), British Stoker 1st Class aboard the HMS Dorsetshire when she was struck by air bombers and sunk; he died in the sinking CITATION[CLOSE]
Force Z Survivors HMS Dorsetshire Crew List, (Retrieved 2018, February 13th), https://www.forcez-survivors.org.uk/biographies/listdorsetshirecrew.html
- Mr. Harold E. Rowbotham, English Second Waiter from England, who worked aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking CITATION[CLOSE]
Lusitania Passenger List - The Lusitania Resource. (Retrieved 2014, March 7) . Retrieved from http://www.rmslusitania.info/lusitania-passenger-list/
Rowbotham Family Crest Products
- ^ Force Z Survivors HMS Dorsetshire Crew List, (Retrieved 2018, February 13th), https://www.forcez-survivors.org.uk/biographies/listdorsetshirecrew.html
- ^ Lusitania Passenger List - The Lusitania Resource. (Retrieved 2014, March 7) . Retrieved from http://www.rmslusitania.info/lusitania-passenger-list/