on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Roundtree family come from? What is the English Roundtree family crest and coat of arms? When did the Roundtree family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Roundtree family history?The Roundtree surname comes from the Middle English word "rown" and the Old English word "tree;" meaning together, a "rowan tree." Thus the first to bear the name likely lived near such a tree. 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rowntree, Rountree, Rowantree and others.
First found in Cumberland where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roundtree research. Another 123 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roundtree History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Roundtree Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Roundtree family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 145 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roundtree Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Elizabeth Roundtree, who arrived in Virginia in 1686
Roundtree Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Roundtree, who came to America in 1804
- Charles Roundtree, aged 33, landed in Delaware in 1812
- Owen Roundtree, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1816
- Brian, James, John, Peter Roundtree all arrived in Philadelphia in 1856
Roundtree Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mary Roundtree, aged 21, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Agnes Muir" in 1872
- Luther 'Red' Roundtree (1905-1990), American plectrum banjo player, co-founder of The Banjo Kings in 1951
- Raleigh Roundtree (b. 1975), American former NFL and CFL football offensive guard who played from 1997 to 2007
- Danielle Roundtree, American singer, actress, model, fashion designer, Miss New York USA 2008
- Shay Roundtree, American actor
- Saudia Roundtree (b. 1976), American bronze medalist women's basketball coach, and former star player, member of the 1995 Jones Cup Team
- Roy Randolph Roundtree (b. 1989), American football wide receiver
- Richard Roundtree (b. 1942), American actor best known for his portrayal of private detective John Shaft in the film Shaft (1971) and its sequels
- Dovey Johnson Roundtree (b. 1914), African-American civil rights and criminal defense lawyer
- Martha Roundtree (1911-1999), American pioneering broadcast journalist
- William Roundtree, American politician, Workers World Candidate for Governor of Michigan, 1990; Workers World Candidate for Michigan State Board of Education, 1992
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Roundtree Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Roundtree Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2015 at 09:03.
on orders of $85 or more