100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Roundtree family come from? What is the English Roundtree family crest and coat of arms? When did the Roundtree family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Roundtree family history?The Roundtree surname comes from the Middle English word "rown" and the Old English word "tree;" meaning together, a "rowan tree." Thus the first to bear the name likely lived near such a tree.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rowntree, Rountree, Rowantree and others.
First found in Cumberland where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roundtree research. Another 289 words(21 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roundtree History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Roundtree Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Roundtree family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 159 words(11 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roundtree Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Elizabeth Roundtree, who arrived in Virginia in 1686
Roundtree Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Roundtree, who came to America in 1804
- Charles Roundtree, aged 33, landed in Delaware in 1812
- Owen Roundtree, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1816
- Brian, James, John, Peter Roundtree all arrived in Philadelphia in 1856
Roundtree Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mary Roundtree, aged 21, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Agnes Muir" in 1872
- Richard Roundtree (b. 1942), American actor best known for his portrayal of private detective John Shaft in the film Shaft (1971) and its sequels
- Martha Roundtree (1911-1999), American pioneering broadcast journalist
- Dovey Johnson Roundtree (b. 1914), African-American civil rights and criminal defense lawyer
- Roy Randolph Roundtree (b. 1989), American football wide receiver
- Saudia Roundtree (b. 1976), American bronze medalist women's basketball coach, and former star player, member of the 1995 Jones Cup Team
- Shay Roundtree, American actor
- Danielle Roundtree, American singer, actress, model, fashion designer, Miss New York USA 2008
- Raleigh Roundtree (b. 1975), American former NFL and CFL football offensive guard who played from 1997 to 2007
- Luther 'Red' Roundtree (1905-1990), American plectrum banjo player, co-founder of The Banjo Kings in 1951
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The Roundtree Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Roundtree Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 September 2014 at 01:14.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!