on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Roundtree family come from? What is the English Roundtree family crest and coat of arms? When did the Roundtree family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Roundtree family history?The Roundtree surname comes from the Middle English word "rown" and the Old English word "tree;" meaning together, a "rowan tree." Thus the first to bear the name likely lived near such a tree. 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Rowntree, Rountree, Rowantree and others.
First found in Cumberland where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roundtree research. Another 123 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roundtree History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Roundtree Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Roundtree family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 145 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Roundtree Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Elizabeth Roundtree, who arrived in Virginia in 1686
Roundtree Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Roundtree, who came to America in 1804
- Charles Roundtree, aged 33, landed in Delaware in 1812
- Owen Roundtree, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1816
- Brian, James, John, Peter Roundtree all arrived in Philadelphia in 1856
Roundtree Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mary Roundtree, aged 21, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Agnes Muir" in 1872
- Luther 'Red' Roundtree (1905-1990), American plectrum banjo player, co-founder of The Banjo Kings in 1951
- Raleigh Roundtree (b. 1975), American former NFL and CFL football offensive guard who played from 1997 to 2007
- Danielle Roundtree, American singer, actress, model, fashion designer, Miss New York USA 2008
- Shay Roundtree, American actor
- Saudia Roundtree (b. 1976), American bronze medalist women's basketball coach, and former star player, member of the 1995 Jones Cup Team
- Roy Randolph Roundtree (b. 1989), American football wide receiver
- Richard Roundtree (b. 1942), American actor best known for his portrayal of private detective John Shaft in the film Shaft (1971) and its sequels
- Dovey Johnson Roundtree (b. 1914), African-American civil rights and criminal defense lawyer
- Martha Roundtree (1911-1999), American pioneering broadcast journalist
- William Roundtree, American politician, Workers World Candidate for Governor of Michigan, 1990; Workers World Candidate for Michigan State Board of Education, 1992
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
The Roundtree Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Roundtree Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2015 at 09:03.
on orders of $85 or more