The Rootes family has descended through the lines of the ancient Normans
that came to England
following their Conquest of England
in 1066. The Rootes name reveals that an early member was a happy or cheerful person.
The surname Rootes was originally derived from the Old English word rot,
which meant glad or pleased.
Early Origins of the Rootes family
The surname Rootes was first found in Kent
where they held a family seat
from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy
, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Rootes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rootes research.Another 78 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1086 is included under the topic Early Rootes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Rootes Spelling Variations
Before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Sound was what guided spelling in the Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Spelling variations
were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Rootes family name include Root, Rouet, Rout, Roots, Roote, Rootes and others.
Early Notables of the Rootes family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Rootes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Rootes family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the political and religious chaos of this era, thousands of English families began to migrate to the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. The passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe; however, those who made the voyage safely were encountered opportunities that were not available to them in their homeland. Many of the families that reached the New World at this time went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations of the United States and Canada. Research into various historical records has revealed some of first members of the Rootes family to immigrate North America:
Rootes Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Joseph Rootes, who settled in New England in 1634
- Joseph Rootes, who arrived in New England in 1634 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Rootes Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Garfield Rootes, aged 24, who immigrated to America from London, England, in 1909
- David Bowling Rootes, aged 20, who landed in America from Cranbrook, England, in 1910
- Nora Rootes, aged 28, who landed in America from Aylesford, England, in 1920
- William E Rootes, aged 27, who settled in America from Aylsford, England, in 1920
- Reginalf Claud Rootes, aged 27, who landed in America from Maidstone, England, in 1923
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Rootes (post 1700)
- Jamey Rootes, American President of the Houston Texans
- David M. Rootes, British Antarctic Survey marine assistant at Signy Station (1977-1979), Base Commander for the summers (1981-1984), eponym of Rootes Point, Antarctica
- Maurice Clifford Rootes (1917-1997), British film editor, active in the 1940s and 1950s
- William Geoffrey Rootes (1917-1992), 2nd Baron Rootes, British chairman of Rootes Motors (1964-1967), Chrysler UK (1967-1978) and Britain's National Economic Development Council (1968-1973)
- William Edward Rootes (1894-1964), created Lord Rootes of Ramsbury in 1959, and his brother, Sir Reginald Rootes, who together established the Rootes Group, automotive company in Britain originally started by their father, William Rootes
- Nicholas Geoffrey Rootes (b. 1951), 3rd Baron Rootes, British peer
Rootes Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)