100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Romine was first found in Peeblesshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd nam Płballan), former county in South-central Scotland, in the present day Scottish Borders Council Area, where they held a family seat on the English/Scottish border. They held a family seat in the old manor of Rothmaneic in the marches of Kingside. After the Norman Conquest of England many of Duke William's rebellious Barons moved north. The border became a convenient but turbulent no-man's land where the persecuted Many were given land by King Malcolm Canmore and later by King David of Scotland. Some were native Scots. In the 16th century they became known as the 'unruly clans'. The name was first recorded in Scotland in 1250. John of Romano was described 'of that ilk' in 1484suggesting the name was an ancient border clan.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Roman, Romain, Romaigne, Romayne, Romanis, Romany, Rommanes, Romanes, Romayn and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Romine research. Another 168 words (12 lines of text) covering the year 1508 is included under the topic Early Romine History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Romine Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Romine Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- W. Tyson Romine, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1896
Romine Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- George L. Romine, aged 54, who emigrated to America, in 1907
- Geo. Kathrine Romine, aged 58, who landed in America, in 1910
- Leslie L. Romine, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1920
- Leslie L. Romine, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1920
- Wendall Romine, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1924
- Alton Rollon Romine (b. 1932), American former gridiron football defensive back and a halfback
- Austin Allen Romine (b. 1988), American Major League Baseball catcher
- Andrew James Romine (b. 1985), American Major League Baseball infielder
- Kevin Andrew Romine (b. 1961), American former utility outfielder in Major League Baseball
- William Roger Romine, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from West Virginia, 2008; Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates 6th District; Elected 2010, 2012
- Phyllis C. Romine, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates 13th District, 1984
- John Romine, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 1932
- Gerald Romine, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Indiana, 1972
- Gary Romine, American Republican politician, Member of Missouri State Senate 3rd District; Elected 2012
- C. E. Romine Jr., American Republican politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Cabell County, 1969-74; Defeated, 1974
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
The Romine Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Romine Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 April 2016 at 19:59.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!