Roel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The name Roel is an old Anglo-Saxon name. It comes from when a family lived in Rothwell, a place-name found in the counties of Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, and the West Riding of Yorkshire.  The place-name Rothwell is derived from the Old English words roth, which means forest clearing, and wella, which means spring or stream. The place-name as a whole translates as "spring or stream in the summer clearing."  In the Domesday Book,  compiled in 1086, each of those places was originally listed as Rodewelle.
Early Origins of the Roel family
The surname Roel was first found in Lincolnshire where one of the first listings of the family was Robert de Rothewelle who was listed there in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273. Later in the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls, Johanna de Rothewell and Johannes de Rothewell were listed. 
Early History of the Roel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Roel research. Another 87 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1563, 1627 and 1640 are included under the topic Early Roel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Roel Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Roel were recorded, including Rothwell, Rathwell, Rosswell, Rosewell and others.
Early Notables of the Roel family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Richard Rothwell, the exorcist, who was born at Bolton (now in Greater Manchester) in 1563.  He died in 1627 and was "known
as "Bold Rothwell, the Apostle of the North," and famed as an exorcist, who professed to have wonderful contests...
Another 48 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Roel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Roel family to Ireland
Some of the Roel family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 43 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Roel migration to the United States +
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Roel family emigrate to North America:
Roel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Niklaas Roel, who arrived in America in 1709
- Nicholas Roel, who settled in America sometime between 1709 and 1710
- Nicolaus Roel, who settled in America sometime between 1709 and 1717
- Anna Dorothea Roel, who settled in America sometime between 1709 and 1717
- Maria Katrina Roel, who arrived in New York in 1709 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Roel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Bern Roel, who settled in America in 1847
- Joh Bern Roel, who landed in America in 1847 
- Angel Roel, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1867 
- Manuel Roel, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1873 
Contemporary Notables of the name Roel (post 1700) +
- Adriana Roel (1934-2022), Mexican actress from the Golden Age of Mexican cinema
- Roel Falkena (1936-2021), Dutch veterinarian and as a member of the Fryske Nasjonale Partij politician in Friesland
- Roel Velasco (b. 1972), retired Filipino boxer
- Roel Moors (b. 1978), Belgian professional basketball player
- Roel Reiné (b. 1969), Dutch-born, American film director
Related Stories +
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Guppy, Henry Brougham, Homes of Family Names in Great Britain. 1890. Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)