on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the English Rives family come from? What is the English Rives family crest and coat of arms? When did the Rives family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Rives family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ryves, Rives and others.
First found in Dorset where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rives research. Another 177 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1596, 1677, 1643, 1583, 1652, 1570, 1648, 1643, 1693 and 1690 are included under the topic Early Rives History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 81 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rives Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Rives family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 141 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Rives Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Rives, who landed in Virginia in 1663-1664
- Edward Rives, who arrived in America in 1674
Rives Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Rives, who settled in America in 1742
Rives Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Rives, who settled in America in 1809
- Peter Rives, who landed in America in 1809
- Reuben Rives, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- John Rives, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Brigadier-General Tom Christopher Rives (1892-1975), American Chief of the Radio & Radar Subdivision, Air Material Command in 1945
- Donald Earl Rives (b. 1951), former American professional American football player
- Hallie Erminie Rives (1874-1956), as an American best-selling popular novelist
- Zeno John Rives (1874-1939), U.S. Representative from Illinois
- Francis Everod Rives (1792-1861), U.S. Representative from Virginia
- Jack L. Rives (b. 1952), the Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer of the American Bar Association
- George Lockhart Rives (1849-1917), served as United States Assistant Secretary of State
- Alexander Rives (1806-1885), Virginia lawyer, politician, and federal judge
- William Cabell Rives (1793-1868), American lawyer, politician and diplomat
- Joey Rives (b. 1963), former American professional tennis player
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Rives Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Rives Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 November 2015 at 08:54.
on orders of $85 or more