Early Origins of the Ridpath family
The surname Ridpath was first found in Berwickshire
where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Scotland
to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Ridpath family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ridpath research.Another 233 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1376, 1547, 1602, 1597 and 1602 are included under the topic Early Ridpath History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ridpath Spelling Variations
Although the name, Ridpath, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Redpath, Ridpath, Reidpath, Ridpeth, Redpeth and others.
Early Notables of the Ridpath family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ridpath Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ridpath family to Ireland
Some of the Ridpath family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 103 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ridpath family to the New World and Oceana
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland
many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Ridpath family name Ridpath, or who bore a variation of the surname were
Ridpath Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Ridpath, who settled in Philadelphia in 1840
- Ed. Ridpath, aged 39, who emigrated to the United States, in 1892
- W. L. Ridpath, who landed in America, in 1892
- Mrs. J.C. Ridpath, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
Ridpath Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ellen Ridpath, aged 32, who landed in America from London, England, in 1908
- Mrs W. M. Ridpath, who landed in America, in 1910
- Sarah Ridpath, aged 41, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Ernest Guy Ridpath, aged 33, who settled in America from London, England, in 1911
- William Ridpath, aged 66, who landed in America, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Ridpath (post 1700)
- Colonel William Ridpath, American businessman who founded the Ridpath Hotel complex, Spokane, Washington in 1899
- John Clark Ridpath (1840-1900), American historian, lecturer at DePaw University
- Michael Ridpath (b. 1961), English author from Devon
- Ian "William" Ridpath (b. 1947), English science writer, journalist, astronomer
- John B. Ridpath Ph.D. (b. 1936), Canadian Objectivist intellectual historian and retired associate professor of economics
- David Bruce Ridpath (1884-1925), Canadian professional ice hockey player and general manager
- Bruce Ridpath (1884-1925), Canadian professional ice hockey player, member of the 1911 Stanley Cup champions, the Ottawa Senators
- George Ridpath (1717-1772), Scottish historian