on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Ridpath family come from? What is the English Ridpath family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ridpath family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ridpath family history?
Although the name, Ridpath, appeared in many references, from time to time, the surname was shown with the spellings Redpath, Ridpath, Reidpath, Ridpeth, Redpeth and others.
First found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ridpath research. Another 233 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1376, 1547, 1602, 1597 and 1602 are included under the topic Early Ridpath History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Ridpath Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Ridpath family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 103 words(7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of cholera, typhoid, dysentery or small pox. In North America, some of the first immigrants who could be considered kinsmen of the Ridpath family name Ridpath, or who bore a variation of the surname were
Ridpath Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Ridpath settled in Philadelphia in 1840
- Ed. Ridpath, aged 39, who emigrated to the United States, in 1892
- W. L. Ridpath, who landed in America, in 1892
- Mrs. J.C. Ridpath, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
Ridpath Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ellen Ridpath, aged 32, who landed in America from London, England, in 1908
- Mrs W. M. Ridpath, who landed in America, in 1910
- Sarah Ridpath, aged 41, who emigrated to the United States, in 1910
- Ernest Guy Ridpath, aged 33, who settled in America from London, England, in 1911
- William Ridpath, aged 66, who landed in America, in 1912
- John Clark Ridpath (1840-1900), American historian, lecturer at DePaw University
- Colonel William Ridpath, American businessman who founded the Ridpath Hotel complex, Spokane, Washington in 1899
- Ian "William" Ridpath (b. 1947), English science writer, journalist, astronomer
- Michael Ridpath (b. 1961), English author from Devon
- George Ridpath (1717-1772), Scottish historian
- Bruce Ridpath (1884-1925), Canadian professional ice hockey player, member of the 1911 Stanley Cup champions, the Ottawa Senators
- David Bruce Ridpath (1884-1925), Canadian professional ice hockey player and general manager
- John B. Ridpath Ph.D. (b. 1936), Canadian Objectivist intellectual historian and retired associate professor of economics
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
The Ridpath Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ridpath Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 July 2013 at 08:24.
on orders of $85 or more