It was in the Scottish/English Borderlands that the Strathclyde-Briton people first used the ancient name Redfeart. It was a name for someone who lived in Midlothian
. However, the Redfeart family name comes from any of several place names in England
called Redford, from Old English re-ad
meaning "red" and ford,
meaning "a place where a river can be crossed."
Early Origins of the Redfeart family
The surname Redfeart was first found in Midlothian
, where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland
to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Redfeart family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Redfeart research.Another 229 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1611, 1612, 1688 and 1547 are included under the topic Early Redfeart History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Redfeart Spelling Variations
Scribes in Medieval Scotland
spelled names by sound rather than any set of rules, so an enormous number of spelling variations
exist in names of that era. Redfeart has been spelled Redford, Redfurd, Rudford, Reidford and others.
Early Notables of the Redfeart family (pre 1700)
Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Redfeart Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Redfeart family to the New World and Oceana
The number of Strathclyde Clan
families sailing for North America increased steadily as the persecution continued. In the colonies, they could find not only freedom from the iron hand of the English government, but land to settle on. The American War of Independence
allowed many of these settlers to prove their independence, while some chose to go to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. Scots played essential roles in the forging of both great nations. Among them: John Redford settled in Bermuda in 1635; James, John and Thomas Redford all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870.