Redfearn History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Redfearn is a name whose history is connected to the ancient Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Redfearn family once lived in the region of Redfern in Lancashire.
Early Origins of the Redfearn family
The surname Redfearn was first found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the manor of Redfern near Rochdale, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Redfearn family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Redfearn research. Another 91 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1604, 1610, and 1616 are included under the topic Early Redfearn History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Redfearn Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Redfearn family name include Redferne, Redfern, Reedfern, Readfern, Reddfern, Redfearn, Redfinn, Redfyne and many more.
Early Notables of the Redfearn family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Redfearn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Redfearn family
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, Canada, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Redfearn surname or a spelling variation of the name include: Isabel Redfern who settled in Massachusetts in 1635; Benjamin, Francis, James, John, Joseph, Robert, Samuel, and Thomas Redfern all settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1848 and 1880..
Contemporary Notables of the name Redfearn (post 1700) +
- Alec K Redfearn, American musician and composer based out of Providence, Rhode Island
- William Townley Redfearn (d. 1947), American politician, Member of South Carolina State Senate from Kershaw County, 1943-47 
- Audrey Redfearn, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1988 
- Joseph Redfearn, first class English cricketer who played one match for Yorkshire County Cricket Club in 1890
- David Redfearn, English former professional rugby league footballer
- Alan Redfearn, English former professional rugby league footballer of the 1970s and '80s
- Neil Redfearn (b. 1965), English footballer and manager
- Brain Redfearn (b. 1935), English former professional footballer
- Sir Herbert Redfearn, English Chairman, Siddall & Hilton Ltd., and all subsidiary companies, Yorkshire
Related Stories +