The first people to use the name Redfard were a family of Strathclyde- Britons
who lived in the Scottish/English Borderlands. The name comes from when someone lived in Midlothian
. However, the Redfard family name comes from any of several place names in England
called Redford, from Old English re-ad
meaning "red" and ford,
meaning "a place where a river can be crossed."
Early Origins of the Redfard family
The surname Redfard was first found in Midlothian
, where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland
to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Redfard family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Redfard research.Another 229 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1611, 1612, 1688 and 1547 are included under the topic Early Redfard History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Redfard Spelling Variations
Surnames that evolved in Scotland
in the Middle Ages often appear under many spelling variations
. These are due to the practice of spelling according to sound in the era before dictionaries had standardized the English language. Redfard has appeared as Redford, Redfurd, Rudford, Reidford and others.
Early Notables of the Redfard family (pre 1700)
Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Redfard Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Redfard family to the New World and Oceana
The North American colonies beckoned, with their ample land and opportunity as their freedom from the persecution suffered by so many Clan
families back home. Many Scots even fought against England
in the American War of Independence
to gain this freedom. Recently, clan societies have allowed the ancestors of these brave Scottish settlers to rediscover their familial roots. Among them: John Redford settled in Bermuda in 1635; James, John and Thomas Redford all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870.