100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Reddington family come from? What is the English Reddington family crest and coat of arms? When did the Reddington family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Reddington family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ridington, Riddington, Rightington, Wrightington, Wrightenton, Writington, Writttington, Ritington, Rittington, Redington, Reddington, Rettington and many more.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor of Wrightenton. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century at Wrightington.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Reddington research. Another 285 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1580, 1455, 1487 and 1172 are included under the topic Early Reddington History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Reddington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Reddington family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 109 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Reddington Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Elizabeth Reddington, who landed in Maryland in 1673
- Daniel Reddington, who arrived in New England in 1685
- Abraham Reddington, who landed in New England in 1686
Reddington Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Reddington, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
Reddington Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- John Reddington, aged 22, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Trafalgar" from Galway
- Jimmy Reddington, American actor, known for The Damned United (2009), Keith Lemon: The Film (2012) and We'll Think of Something (1986)
- Ian Reddington (b. 1957), English actor, known for his roles in Coronation Street (1960), Highlander (1986) and EastEnders (1985)
- Stuart Reddington (b. 1978), English former professional footballer
- Helen Reddington (b. 1950), English rock performer and author
- Martin Charles "Tony Reddin" Reddington (1919-2015), Irish hurler for the Galway and Tipperary
- Daryll Reddington (b. 1972), former New Zealand cricketer
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Reddington Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Reddington Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 June 2015 at 08:13.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!