Radigan History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Radigan family
The surname Radigan was first found in Durham, where they were recorded as a family of great antiquity seated on the lands of Redheugh in that shire. Although the spelling of this name was originally Redheugh, the latter part of the name has been pronounced many ways. King David of Scotland granted them lands in Redheugh in Lanarkshire. Andrew Reddoch held lands in Stirlingshire and was succeeded by James, and then Patrick, but by 1490 they had established themselves as a significant Border Clan holding territories in Dumfries and Kirkcudbright, neighbors of the Glendennings, MacLellans, and the MacCullochs. 
In England, it may have been a nickname as in "the ruddock," (robin redbreast) and interestingly Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1343-1400), the Father of English literature notes in his poem "Assembly of Fowls," 'The tame ruddocke, and the coward kite.' 
Early History of the Radigan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Radigan research. Another 193 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1597, 1591, 1621, 1628, 1689, 1690, 1742, 1787, 1744, 1273, 1604, 1799, 1803 and 1807 are included under the topic Early Radigan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Radigan Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Reddoch, Reddock, Redick, Reddish, Raddish and others.
Early Notables of the Radigan family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Radigan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Radigan family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Reddish who settled in Virginia in 1623; William Reddish settled in St. Christopher in 1635; Alexander Reddock settled in Virginia in 1653; John Reddock settled in Virginia in 1650.
Contemporary Notables of the name Radigan (post 1700) +
- Joseph Francis Radigan (1905-1975), American Democrat politician, Member of Vermont State House of Representatives, 1957-59; U.S. Attorney for Vermont, 1961-69 
- Joseph Radigan, American Republican politician, Candidate for Mayor of Gary, Indiana, 1967 
- Edmund P. Radigan, American Republican politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Richmond County 2nd District, 1945-48 
Related Stories +
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html