The earliest origins of the name Puckett date back to the time of the Anglo-Saxons
. The name is derived from the baptismal name Buchard,
a variant of Burchard.
Early Origins of the Puckett family
The surname Puckett was first found in Lincolnshire
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Puckett family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Puckett research.Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1207, 1273, 1500, and 1547 are included under the topic Early Puckett History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Puckett Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon
surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations
. Changes in Anglo-Saxon
names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Puckett include Bockett, Bocket, Bocard, Bocardi, Bochard, Bockard, Bokett, Bucard, Buchard, Bucket and many more.
Early Notables of the Puckett family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Puckett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Puckett family to the New World and Oceana
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Puckett or a variant listed above:
Puckett Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Elinor Puckett, who arrived in Virginia in 1664 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Puckett Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Iada D. Puckett, aged 20, who landed in America from Glasgow, in 1892
Puckett Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Sam Puckett, aged 21, who settled in America from London, in 1900
- George Puckett, aged 31, who emigrated to the United States from Southampton, England, in 1910
- Ellen Puckett, aged 42, who emigrated to America from Southhampton, England, in 1910
- Charles Puckett, aged 36, who landed in America from London, England, in 1912
- William Robert Puckett, aged 34, who landed in America, in 1922
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Puckett (post 1700)
- Troy Levi Puckett (1889-1971), American Major League Baseball pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies in 1911
- Utley J. "U.J." Puckett (1911-1992), American professional pocket billiards player
- Christopher "Chris" Puckett (b. 1970), American former alpine skier at the 1992 Winter Olympics
- George Riley Puckett (1894-1946), American blind country music pioneer, member of Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers
- Riley Puckett (1894-1946), American country music pioneer, best known as a member of Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers
- Ralph Puckett (b. 1926), US Army leader of Eighth Army Ranger Company in the Korean War
- Phillip Puckett (b. 1947), American politician, Virginia State Senator (1998-2014)
- Matthew Puckett, American composer, songwriter, and music producer
- Kirby Puckett (1960-2006), American Major League Baseball center fielder, inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame (2001)
- Joel Puckett (b. 1977), American composer of concert music
- ... (Another 15 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Suggested Readings for the name Puckett
- Some Pucketts and Their Kin by Hester Elisabeth Garrett.