Provance History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Provance surname is a habitational name, taken on from "the lands of Provan, formerly a possession of the prebendary of Barlanark, one of the canons of Glasgow cathedral. Provand is the vemacular for prebenda. A surname around Glasgow and also surname of a family long connected with Strathblane and Killearn. Richard de Prebenda who was clerk to William the Lion, is probably Richard de Prebenda, charter witness, c. 1190, 1200, and 1231." 
Early Origins of the Provance family
The surname Provance was first found in Lanarkshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
"Robert surnamed de Prebenda was elected dean of Dunkeld, 1248 (Chron. Mail., s.a.), Adam de Prebenda was clerk to the king, 1263 (Pap. Lett., I, p. 389), and Robert de Prebenda was bishop of Dunblane, 1258-82. John de Prebenda was burgess of Glasgow, 1428 (LCD., p. 245), and Stephen Provand had a remission for his share in burning the town of Dunbretane, 1489." 
Provan Hall (also known as Provanhall, Hall of Provan and 'Hall Mailings') is a historic place composed of two buildings built about the 15th century and situated in Auchinlea Park, Easterhouse, Glasgow. Originally known as "Hall of Provan," it was probably built in the same era as The Provand's Lordship of Glasgow in the same area, now a medieval historic house museum.
Early History of the Provance family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Provance research. Another 154 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1190, 1258, 1489, 1549, 1521, 1552, 1549 and 1723 are included under the topic Early Provance History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Provance Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Provan, Provand, Provender, Proven and others.
Early Notables of the Provance family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Provance Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Provance family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Thomas Provan who arrived in Philadelphia in 1890; John Provender settled in New England in 1663.
Contemporary Notables of the name Provance (post 1700) +
- Jim Provance, American actor, known for Pictures (2011) and Timeline Alpha (2010)
- Brendan Provance, American actor, known for Framed: The Adventures of Zion Man (2016)
- Carre Provance, American actor, known for Short Side of Nothing (2005) and The F.B.I. Files (1998)
- Raquel Provance, American actress, known for Red Dawn (1984)
- Gregory "Greg" Provance (b. 1971), American actor from Virginia Beach, Virginia, known for Charmed (1998), Dawson's Creek (1998) and Homicide: Life on the Street (1993)
- Samuel Provance (b. 1974), American former U.S. Army military intelligence sergeant, known for disobeying an order from his commanders in the 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion by discussing with the media his experiences at the Abu Ghraib Prison
- D. William Provance Jr., Brazilian researcher at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation/Fiocruz
Related Stories +
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)