100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Plaisted was first found in Sussex
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Playsted, Playstead, Paisted, Plaistead, Plaister, Playstow, Plaistowe, Plastow, Plester and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Plaisted research. Another 321 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1510, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Plaisted History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Plaisted Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Plaisted Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Roger Plaisted, who landed in New England in 1663
- John Plaisted, who arrived in New Hampshire in 1679
Plaisted Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E Plaisted, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- G Plaisted, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Plaisted Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Ellen Plaisted, aged 28, arrived in South Australia in 1859 aboard the ship "David McIvor"
- Trent Michael Plaisted (b. 1986), American professional basketball player
- Ralph Plaisted (1927-2008), American explorer, member of the team that made the first surface traverse across the ice to the North Pole on 19 April 1968
- David Alan Plaisted, American computer science professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Joan M. Plaisted (b. 1945), American politician, 4th U.S. Ambassador to Marshall Islands (1995-2000) and 4th U.S. Ambassador to Kiribati (1995-2000)
- Frederick William Plaisted (1865-1943), American Democrat politician, Mayor of Augusta, Maine (1906-1908) and in 1910, 48th Governor of Maine (1911-1913), Postmaster at Augusta, Maine (1914-1922), son of Harris Merrill Plaisted
- Harris Merrill Plaisted (1828-1898), American Republican politician, Member of Maine State House of Representatives in 1867, U.S. Representative from Maine 4th District (1875-1877), 38th Governor of Maine (1881-1883)
- Helen Plaisted, Australian squash competitor at the 1964 Women's British Open Squash Championship
- Ridley Wilks Plaisted (1885-1954), Australian rules footballer who played five games for Fitzroy (1905-1907)
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Plaisted Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Plaisted Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 May 2016 at 07:47.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!