Pitkethley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Pitkethley family
The surname Pitkethley was first found in Perthshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland, where they held a family seat in their territories. The Pictish influence on Scottish history diminished after Kenneth Macalpine became King of all Scotland. But those east coast families still played an important role in government and were more accessible to Government than their western highland counterparts.
The family name became associated as a sept of the Clan near Strathearn in the 13th century. Today, Pitkeathly Wells (spelling variants: Pitcaithly, Pitceathly, Pitkethley, etc.) is a hamlet in the Perth and Kinross area of Scotland.
Early History of the Pitkethley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pitkethley research. Another 135 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1202, 1568, 1684, 1785, 1949, 1910 and 1927 are included under the topic Early Pitkethley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pitkethley Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pitcaithly, Pitcaithley, Pitceathly, Pikaithly, Pitkeathley, Pitkethley, Pitkethly, Pitkeathly and many more.
Early Notables of the Pitkethley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Pitkethley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pitkethley migration to New Zealand +
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Pitkethley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Lawrence Pitkethley, aged 24, a mechanic, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Helenslee" in 1864
- Margaret Pitkethley, aged 26, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Helenslee" in 1864
- George Pitkethley, aged 2, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Helenslee" in 1864
- John Pitkethley, aged 3 mths., who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Helenslee" in 1864
- George Pitkethley, aged 46, a blacksmith, who arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Helenslee" in 1864
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Pitkethley (post 1700) +
- Lawrence Pitkethley, English political nominee for the 1841 West Riding of Yorkshire General Election
- Scott Pitkethley, English lead battle programmer for video games, co-awarded the British Academy Video Games Award (2011)
Related Stories +