Pelayo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
From the historical and enchanting region of Spain emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Pelayo family. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins.
Early Origins of the Pelayo family
The surname Pelayo was first found in Asturias, where the Visigothic court took refuge from the Muslim occupation of Spain.
Early History of the Pelayo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pelayo research. Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1052, 1238, 1403, and 1406 are included under the topic Early Pelayo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pelayo Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Peláez, Pelaez, Peláiz, Pelaiz, Pelayo, Páez, Paez, Báez and many more.
Early Notables of the Pelayo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were eleventh century prelate Diego Peláez, chosen by King Sancho II to oversee the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela; eleventh century nobleman Gonzalo Peláez; twelfth century nobleman Count Pedro Peláez de Valderas; Macía Peláez de Robreda, who received lands in the 1238 Repartimiento de Córdoba; thirteenth century noblemen Gonzalvo Peláez de...
Another 56 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pelayo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pelayo migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pelayo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Domingo Pelayo, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1860 
Contemporary Notables of the name Pelayo (post 1700) +
- José Jesús Villa Pelayo (b. 1962), Venezuelan poet, essayist, lawyer and political analyst
- José de Jesús Gudiño Pelayo (1943-2010), Mexican jurist
- Wifredo Pelayo Ricart Medina (1897-1974), Spanish engineer, designer and executive manager in the automotive industry
- Francisco Pelayo Covarrubias (b. 1969), Mexican politician
- Ramón Pelayo de la Torriente, Marquis of Valdecilla, Spanish philanthropist
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)