Payant History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Payant family
The surname Payant was first found in Dauphiny (French: Dauphiné or Dauphiné Viennois), a former province in southeastern France, where this family held a family seat from very early times.
One of the first records of the family was Hugues de Payens (or Payns) (c. 1070-1136), the Frankish knight from the Champagne region who was the co-founder and first Grand Master of the Knights Templar. He co-created the Latin Rule, the code of behavior for the Order and is believed to have been born in Troyes, France, but his lineage is unknown.
Jacques Payen, son of Jacques and Madeleine (née Cantin), was a French cobbler that settled in Quebec in the 17th century. He married Louise Morin, daughter of Pierre and Catherine (née LeMesle), on 3rd February 1699. He married again on 16th October 1710 in Sainte-Foy, Quebec to Marguerite Sedilot, daughter of Jean and Marie-Claire (née De La Hogue). 
Important Dates for the Payant family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Payant research. Another 320 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1250, 1279, 1380, 1415, 1450, 1539, 1572, 1610, 1612, 1613, 1700, 1779, 1793, 1794, and 1796 are included under the topic Early Payant History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Payant Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Payan, Payen, Payon, Payont, Payond, Payons, Paian, Paien, Paion, Paiont, Paions, Pagan, Pagant, Pagani, Payani, Payhani and many more.
Early Notables of the Payant family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Jean Poyer (c.1450-1503), a French miniature painter and manuscript illuminator; Johann Conrad Peyer (1653-1712), a Swiss anatomist; and Hector...
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Payant Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Payant family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Peter Payan who settled in Philadelphia in 1794; and Jean Payen, aged 54; settled in Louisiana in 1719.
Contemporary Notables of the name Payant (post 1700)
- Lee Payant (1924-1976), American actor and film director
- Vital Payant, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Delegate to Michigan State Constitutional Convention from Menominee District, 1961 
- V. Robert Payant, American politician, Candidate in primary for Judge, Michigan Court of Appeals 3rd District, 1974; Circuit Judge in Michigan 41st Circuit 1978 
- John D. Payant (1935-2001), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives 109th District, 1969-72 
You May Also Like
- ^ Olivier, Reginald L. Your Ancient Canadian Family Ties. Logan: The Everton Publishers, Inc., P.O. Box 368, 1972. Print
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html