Patillo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Patillo is a name that dates back to the kingdom of Dalriada in ancient Scotland. It was given to someone who lived in either of two places called Pittilloch; the first is near Freuchie in the county of Fife, while the second is in Glenfarg, in the county of Perth.
Early Origins of the Patillo family
The surname Patillo was first found in Fife, where they held a family seat from very early times, and are conjecturally descended according to Historian, Hugh MacDonald, from the MacLullichs, who claim descent from Angus, grandson of Somerled, Lord of the Isles, the original name being Patilloch or Patillock.
Early History of the Patillo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Patillo research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1305, 1423, 1452, 1585, 1690, 1754 and 1715 are included under the topic Early Patillo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Patillo Spelling Variations
Spelling in the medieval era was a highly imprecise process. Translation, particularly from Gaelic to English, was little better. For these reasons, early Scottish names are rife with spelling variations. In various documents Patillo has been spelled Patilloch, Patillock, Patillo, Pattillo, Pattullo, Patullo, Petillo, Pettillo, Petullow, Pitilloch, Pitillo, Pittillo and many more.
Early Notables of the Patillo family (pre 1700)
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Patillo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Patillo migration to the United States +
Many of the ancestors of Dalriadan families who arrived in North America still live in communities along the east coast of Canada and the United States. In the American War of Independence many of the original settlers traveled north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries the ancestors of many Scots began recovering their collective national heritage through Clan societies, highland games, and other patriotic events. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Patillo or a variant listed above:
Patillo Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Patillo, who arrived in America in 1740 
- Henry Patillo, notable Presbyterian minister of Hanover, Virginia, who led the Wyllis Creek congregation in 1748
Patillo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Patillo, who settled in Philadelphia in 1828
Contemporary Notables of the name Patillo (post 1700) +
- Marcus Patillo (b. 1977), American former Major League Baseball umpire during 2014 and 2015 season
- John Patillo, American Librarian, Atlanta, Georgia
- Lewis Carl Patillo, American Civil Engineer, of Huntsville, Alabama
- Leon Norman Patillo (b. 1947), American Contemporary Christian singer and evangelist
- David Patillo (1828-1903), American shape note singing teacher, composer
- David Patillo White (1828-1903), American shape note singing teacher, composer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)