Overby History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Overby family
The surname Overby was first found in Gloucestershire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book,  indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Aston Underedge, held by the steward of Lambeth Church, who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086.
Early History of the Overby family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Overby research. Another 131 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1608, 1621, 1660, 1510, 1600, 1543, 1551, 1643, 1604, 1611, 1592, 1637, 1621, 1622, 1626, 1581 and 1613 are included under the topic Early Overby History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Overby Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Overbury, Overbery, Overberry, Overberrie and many more.
Early Notables of the Overby family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Sir Nicholas Overbury (1551-1643), an English lawyer, landowner and politician, Member of Parliament for Gloucester (1604-1611); and Walter Overbury (1592-1637), an English politician, Member of Parliament for Cardigan (1621-1622) and again in 1626. Sir Thomas Overbury (1581-1613) was an English...
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Overby Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Overby migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Overby Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Margtt Overby, who arrived in Virginia in 1703 
Overby Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Knuo Overby, who arrived in Texas in 1850-1906 
Overby Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Lars Andrew Overby, who landed in Wisconsin in 1907 
Contemporary Notables of the name Overby (post 1700) +
- Sigurd Overby (1899-1979), American championship skier
- Jason Overby (b. 1975), American artist
- Christian Overby (b. 1985), Danish professional football midfielder
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Overby +
- 4784 The Overby Story: 500 Years in England and America by Libby Overby.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)