Othen History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Othen was brought to England in the wave of migration that followed the Norman Conquest of 1066. Othen is based on the popular Norman given name Odo.
Early Origins of the Othen family
The surname Othen was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the manor of Storkhouse, Gisburn, and Withernsea in that shire. They are conjecturally believed to be descended from Count Odo who was also ancestor of the Counts of Aumale and the Lords of Holderness.
Early History of the Othen family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Othen research. Another 67 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Othen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Othen Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred years the English language had no fixed system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations occurred commonly in Anglo Norman surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Othen were recorded, including Oddie, Oddey, Odey, Oddy, Hoddy, Hoddie, Odo and many more.
Early Notables of the Othen family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Othen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Othen migration to the United States +
The unstable environment in England at this time caused numerous families to board ships and leave in search of opportunity and freedom from persecution abroad in places like Ireland, Australia, and particularly the New World. The voyage was extremely difficult, however, and only taken at great expense. The cramped conditions and unsanitary nature of the vessels caused many to arrive diseased and starving, not to mention destitute from the enormous cost. Still opportunity in the emerging nations of Canada and the United States was far greater than at home and many went on to make important contributions to the cultures of their adopted countries. An examination of many early immigration records reveals that people bearing the name Othen arrived in North America very early:
Othen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William Othen, aged 24, who landed in America from London, England, in 1907
- Duncan Othen, aged 24, who settled in America from Southampton, England, in 1908
- Richard Othen, aged 26, who landed in America from Colombo, Ceylon, in 1910
- John Othen, aged 32, who immigrated to the United States from Solsewon, Wales, in 1913
- W.S. Othen, who landed in America, in 1917
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Othen migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Othen Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Othen, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia 
Contemporary Notables of the name Othen (post 1700) +
- Geoffrey Victor Othen (b. 1933), former English cricketer
- Annie Othen, English Gillard Radio Award nominated journalist and broadcaster for the BBC
Historic Events for the Othen family +
- Mr. Charles Alfred Othen, aged 36, English Fireman/Stoker from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping on life boat 3 
Related Stories +