100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Odell family come from? What is the Irish Odell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Odell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Odell family history?The Odell surname, has been found in Ireland since the 17th century. Before that, it was of English origins. Interestingly, in Ireland, the name has been altered to appear as if it had Irish Gaelic origins. It is also thought that some Irish Gaelic families adopted the Odell name during the seventeenth century. Extensive research into some of the most ancient documents has revealed the Odell surname to be of Anglo-Saxon origin, taken on as a surname from a place named Odell in Bedfordshire. The place name is in turn derived from the Old English words "wad," and "hyll," meaning "woad" (a plant collected for the blue dye produced by its leaves), and "hill."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Odell, O'Dell and others.
First found in Bedfordshire, where their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Odell research. Another 308 words(22 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Odell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Odell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Odell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 104 words(7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Odell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Odell, who came to New England in 1630
- William Odell, who arrived in New England in 1639
- Henry Odell, who arrived in Virginia in 1654
Odell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Tho Odell, who landed in Virginia in 1706
Odell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Odell and her husband, who settled in Boston in 1820
Odell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Dora C. O'Dell, aged 50, who emigrated to the United States from Queenstown, in 1905
- F. Edith O'Dell, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1907
- Agnes O'Dell, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1909
- Frank O'Dell, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1923
Odell Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Eric O'Dell, aged 7, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1915
Odell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- G. O'Dell arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "British King" in 1883
- Walden "Wally" O'Dell, American former chief executive officer and chairman of the board of Diebold
- Jack O'Dell (b. 1924), African-American member of the U.S. Civil Rights movement who worked with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
- Kenny O'Dell (b. 1946), born Kenneth Gist Jr, an American country music singer and songwriter
- Scott O'Dell (1898-1989), American multiple Newbery Medal winning author of 26 novels for young people
- Benjamin Barker Odell (1854-1926), American political figure
- John O'Dell (1898-1989), award-winning American children's author
- Matthew Odell (b. 1979), American pianist
- Jennifer O'Dell (b. 1974), American film and television actress
- Nancy Humphries O'Dell (b. 1966), American television host and entertainment journalist
- George Clinton Densmore Odell (1866-1949), American historian
- Through the Hourglass: A History of the Families of Russell Turner Odell and Florence Turner Odell by R.T. Odell.
- Twelve Families, an American Experience by William F. O'Dell.
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Odell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Odell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 November 2014 at 18:16.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!