The original Gaelic form of O'Boylen was O Baoigheallain.
Early Origins of the O'Boylen family
The surname O'Boylen was first found in Fermanagh
(Irish: Fear Manach) in the southwestern part of Northern Ireland
, Province of Ulster
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times, and were descended from the Heremon
line of Kings, more specifically King Colla da Crioch, one of the three famous Kings of Colla, 357 A.D.
Early History of the O'Boylen family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our O'Boylen research.Another 197 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early O'Boylen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
O'Boylen Spelling Variations
Before widespread literacy came to Ireland, a name was often recorded under several different variations during the life of its bearer. Accordingly, numerous spelling variations
were revealed in the search for the origin of the name O'Boylen family name. Variations found include Boylan, Boyland, O'Boylan and others.
Early Notables of the O'Boylen family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early O'Boylen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the O'Boylen family to the New World and Oceana
Thousands of Irish families
left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name O'Boylen: George Boylan who settled in Barbados in 1654; Charles, James, John, Michael, several Patricks, Thomas Boylan, arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860.