100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, German
The Nunn surname derives from the Old English word "nunne," in turn from the Latin "nonna," both of which mean a "Nun." As a name, it was likely originally a nickname for a pious person, or an occupational name for someone who worked at a convent.
The surname Nunn was first found in Norfolk where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Noon, Noone, Nunn, Nones, None, Nun and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nunn research. Another 278 words (20 lines of text) covering the year 1514 is included under the topic Early Nunn History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Nunn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Nunn family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 108 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nunn Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Nunn, who settled in Virginia in 1635
- Richard Nunn, aged 19, landed in New England in 1635
- Tho Nunn, aged 22, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- John Nunn, who arrived in Maryland in 1673
- John Nunn settled in Virginia in 1695
Nunn Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Nunn, who landed in Mississippi in 1856
Nunn Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Nunn, English convict from Bedford, who was transported aboard the "Almorah" on April 1817, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Thomas Nunn, English convict from Suffolk, who was transported aboard the "Anson" on September 23, 1843, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- George Nunn, English convict from Suffolk, who was transported aboard the "Agincourt" on July 6, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- William Nunn arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Royal George" in 1848
- Joseph Nunn, aged 35, a labourer, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Catherine" in 1851
Nunn Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Ann Nunn, aged 40, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "London" in 1840
- Ronnie Nunn, American former professional NBA basketball referee
- Joseph Nunn (1905-1968), American engineer, co-creator of the Baker-Nunn cameras, a series of satellite tracking cameras
- Stephen "Steve" Rob Nunn (b. 1952), American former Deputy Secretary of Health and Human Services for the Commonwealth of Kentucky
- Terri Kathleen Nunn (b. 1961), American singer and actress
- Lucien Lucius "L.L." Nunn (1853-1925), American entrepreneur and educator, founder of the Telluride Association and Deep Springs College
- William G. "Bill" Nunn III (b. 1953), American actor
- Samuel Augustus Nunn Jr. (b. 1938), American businessman and politician
- John Denis Martin Nunn (b. 1955), English chess master, three-time world champion in chess problem solving
- Sir Trevor Robert Nunn (b. 1940), English two-time Tony Award nominated Artistic Director for the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Royal National Theatre, and the Theatre Royal, Haymarket
- Sir Thomas Percy Nunn (1870-1944), English Education Administrator
- Nunn Families of Northeast Georgia by D.C. Nu.
- , Nunns of the Sou.
- by Alexander Nunn.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
This page was last modified on 24 April 2016 at 09:10.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!