100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Nimmo family come from? What is the Scottish Nimmo family crest and coat of arms? When did the Nimmo family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Nimmo family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Nimmo, Newmarch, Nemmoke, Nemmock, Newmarsh and others.
First found in Stirlingshire, where they held a family seat from early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nimmo research. Another 385 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 1459, 1616, and 1679 are included under the topic Early Nimmo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Nimmo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nimmo Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Nimmo settled in Virginia in 1716
- James Nimmo, who landed in Virginia in 1716
- William Nimmo, who arrived in Virginia in 1748
- John Nimmo settled in New England in 1772
Nimmo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Archibald Nimmo settled in Philadelphia in 1864
Nimmo Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Nimmo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Glenswilly" in 1839
- Peter Nimmo, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Agincourt" on July 6, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
Nimmo Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Nimmo, aged 24, a joiner, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- William Lorne "Bill" Nimmo (1917-2011), American television and radio personality, best known as Johnny Carson's sidekick on the show Who Do You Trust?
- Robert "Bob" Nimmo (1922-2005), American military officer and politician; he served in the California State Assembly (1973 to 1977) and California State Senate (1977 to 1981)
- Justin Nimmo (b. 1974), American actor
- Mary Nimmo (1842-1899), American 19th century landscape artist
- Alexander Nimmo (1783-1832), Scottish engineer and architect
- Ian Nimmo (b. 1985), Scottish rugby union player
- John Nimmo J.P. C.E. (1819-1904), Australian politician, Member for Emerald Hill, Victoria (1877-1889)
- Sir John Angus Nimmo CBE, QC (1909-1997), Australian judge, Chief Justice of Fiji (1972-1974)
- Alison Nimmo (b. 1964), British Chief Executive of the Crown Estate
- Lieutenant-General Robert Harold Nimmo CBE (1893-1966), Australian Head of UN Military Observer Group in Pakistan & India from 1952 to 1966
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
The Nimmo Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Nimmo Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 August 2015 at 21:16.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!