on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Nimmo family come from? What is the Scottish Nimmo family crest and coat of arms? When did the Nimmo family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Nimmo family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Nimmo, Newmarch, Nemmoke, Nemmock, Newmarsh and others.
First found in Stirlingshire, where they held a family seat from early times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nimmo research. Another 385 words(28 lines of text) covering the years 1459, 1616, and 1679 are included under the topic Early Nimmo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Nimmo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nimmo Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Nimmo settled in Virginia in 1716
- James Nimmo, who landed in Virginia in 1716
- William Nimmo, who arrived in Virginia in 1748
- John Nimmo settled in New England in 1772
Nimmo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Archibald Nimmo settled in Philadelphia in 1864
Nimmo Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Nimmo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Glenswilly" in 1839
- Peter Nimmo, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Agincourt" on July 6, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
Nimmo Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Nimmo, aged 24, a joiner, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Mary Nimmo (1842-1899), American 19th century landscape artist
- Justin Nimmo (b. 1974), American actor
- Robert "Bob" Nimmo (1922-2005), American military officer and politician; he served in the California State Assembly (1973 to 1977) and California State Senate (1977 to 1981)
- William Lorne "Bill" Nimmo (1917-2011), American television and radio personality, best known as Johnny Carson's sidekick on the show Who Do You Trust?
- Ian Nimmo (b. 1985), Scottish rugby union player
- Alexander Nimmo (1783-1832), Scottish engineer and architect
- Jenny Nimmo (b. 1944), British author of numerous books for children
- Derek Robert Nimmo (1930-1999), English character actor, known for his work in All Gas and Gaiters (1966), Just a Nimmo (1974) and One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing (1975)
- John Robert Nimmo (1910-1994), New Zealand cricketer
- Lieutenant-General Robert Harold Nimmo CBE (1893-1966), Australian Head of UN Military Observer Group in Pakistan & India from 1952 to 1966
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Scots Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Mordern Application of the Art and Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
The Nimmo Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Nimmo Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 November 2014 at 11:17.
on orders of $85 or more