Munyon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The original Gaelic form of Munyon was O Mainnin.
Early Origins of the Munyon family
The surname Munyon was first found in County Galway (Irish: Gaillimh) part of the province of Connacht, located on the west coast of the Island.
Important Dates for the Munyon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Munyon research. Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1172 is included under the topic Early Munyon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Munyon Spelling Variations
The recording of names in Ireland in the Middle Ages was an inconsistent endeavor at best. The many regional dialects and the predominate illiteracy would have made common surnames appear unrelated to the scribes of the period. Research into the name Munyon revealed spelling variations, including Mannion, O'Mannin, O'Mannion, Mannyan, Mennon and many more.
Early Notables of the Munyon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Munyon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Munyon migration to the United States
Many destitute Irish families in the 18th and 19th centuries decided to leave their homeland, which had in many ways been scarred by English colonial rule. One of the most frequent destinations for these families was North America where it was possible for an Irish family to own their own parcel of land. Many of the early settlers did find land awaiting them in British North America, or even later in America, but for the majority of immigrants that arrived as a result of the Great Potato Famine of the late 1840s the ownership of land was often a long way off. These Irish people were initially put to work on such industrial projects as the building of bridges, canals, and railroads, or they worked at manufacturing positions within factories. Whenever they arrived, the Irish made enormous contributions to the infant nations of Canada and the United States. Some of the earliest immigrants to bearer the name of Munyon were found through extensive research of immigration and passenger lists:
Typical Munyon Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Munyon Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- James Munyon, aged 55, who immigrated to the United States from London, in 1904
- James W. Munyon, aged 19, who settled in America, in 1904
- James M. Munyon, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1914
Contemporary Notables of the name Munyon (post 1700)
- David Munyon (b. 1952), American folk-singer-songwriter
- Le Roy Munyon, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Iowa 8th District, 1924 
- Dr. James M. Munyon (1848-1918), American creator of homeopathic patent medicines, some of which were used at his Hotel Hygeia on Munyon Island
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html