The original Gaelic form of Munion was O Mainnin.
, located on the west coast of the Island.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Munion research.Another 189 words (14 lines of text) covering the year 1172 is included under the topic Early Munion History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Because early scribes and church officials often spelled names as they sounded, a person could have many various spellings of his name.Many different spelling variations
of the surname Munion were found in the archives researched. These included Mannion, O'Mannin, O'Mannion, Mannyan, Mennon and many more.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, thousands of Irish families
fled an Ireland
that was forcibly held through by England
through its imperialistic policies. A large portion of these families crossed the Atlantic to the shores of North America. The fate of these families depended on when they immigrated and the political allegiances they showed after they arrived. Settlers that arrived before the American War of Independence
may have moved north to Canada at the war's conclusion as United Empire Loyalists. Such Loyalists were granted land along the St. Lawrence River and the Niagara Peninsula. Those that fought for the revolution occasionally gained the land that the fleeing Loyalist vacated. After this period, free land and an agrarian lifestyle were not so easy to come by in the East. So when seemingly innumerable Irish immigrants arrived during the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s, free land for all was out of the question. These settlers were instead put to work building railroads, coal mines, bridges, and canals. Whenever they came, Irish settlers made an inestimable contribution to the building of the New World. Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the Irish name Munion or a variant listed above, including: Mary Mannon, who settled in New England
in 1721; as well as Edward, James, John and Patrick Manion, who all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860..