Moxey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Moxey family
The surname Moxey was first found in Northamptonshire at Maxey, a parish, in the union and soke of Peterborough.  Now part of Cambridgeshire, this ancient Saxon village dates back to c. 963 when it was known as Macuseige and literally meant "island or dry ground in marsh, of a man called Maccus" from the Viking personal name. 
The first record of the family was found here in the original Latin form, Suein de Makesia in the Pipe Rolls of 1185. The next record of the family was found over one hundred years later in Cornwall when Nicholas de Makeseye was mentioned in 1297. 
Maxey Castle was a medieval fortified manor house castle built around the 1370s by William Thorpe near the village of Maxey. Only the remnants of the castle can be seen today.
Early History of the Moxey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Moxey research. Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1617, 1510, 1600, 1137, 1432, 1484, 1541, 1542, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Moxey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Moxey Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Maxey, Maxie, Max, Maxy, Maxse, Maxsey and others.
Early Notables of the Moxey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Moxey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Moxey migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Moxey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dew. A. Moxey, aged 55, who settled in America, in 1892
- Anna Moxey, aged 43, who landed in America, in 1896
Moxey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edward Moxey, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States from England, in 1902
- Rose Moxey, aged 17, who landed in America from Trowbridge, in 1904
- Sarah Moxey, aged 26, who settled in America from Liverpool, England, in 1907
- John James Moxey, aged 5, who immigrated to America from Liverpool, England, in 1907
- Margaret Moxey, aged 1, who immigrated to the United States from Liverpool, England, in 1907
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Moxey (post 1700) ||+|
- T. A. Moxey, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kansas, 1916 
- Dean William Moxey (b. 1986), English professional footballer
- John Llewellyn Moxey (1925-2019), Argentine-born, British film and television director
- Osbourne Moxey (b. 1978), gold medalist male long jumper from the Bahamas
- James George Moxey (b. 1953), retired Canadian professional NHL ice hockey forward
- Squadron Leader Eric Lawrence Moxey GC (1894-1940), Royal Air Force officer and a British recipient of the George Cross
- Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 20) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html