Moorefield History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Moorefield family
The surname Moorefield was first found in Cumberland where the family name was first referenced in the year 1154 when Peter Morville was recorded with estates. 
They were originally from Morville, arr Valognes in the canton of Briquebec in Normandy.  Another early record of the family was found in the royal burgh of Lauder in Berwickshire. This parish was "granted in the early part of the 12th century, by David I., to Hugh de Moreville, constable of Scotland. De Moreville gave the lands of Thirlstane, in the parish, to one of his kinsmen, whose grand-daughter conveyed them by marriage to Sir Richard Maitland, ancestor of the present Earl of Lauderdale, now the principal proprietor of the parish." 
Another source digs further into Hugh de Morville (Moreville): "the barton of Morvale or Morville, [in the parish of Morvall, Cornwall] which was connected with the manor, gave its name to an ancient family thence denominated De Morville; from whom, according to tradition, sprang Hugh de Morville, knight, who was one of the murderers of Thomas a Becket. How long the property continued in this ancient, but now forgotten family, we have no means of knowing. At a very early period it belonged to the Glynns, with whom it continued for many generations."  Contrary to this quote, the family is not forgotten.
Early History of the Moorefield family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Moorefield research. Another 157 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Moorefield History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Moorefield Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moorfield, Morefield, Mirefield, Moreville, Moorville, Morville, Morfield, Myrfield, Monfode, Nontfoyde and many more.
Early Notables of the Moorefield family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Moorefield Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Moorefield migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Moorefield Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Joseph Moorefield, who settled in Maryland in 1720
Contemporary Notables of the name Moorefield (post 1700) +
- Virgil Moorefield (b. 1956), American avant-garde musician, drummer and composer
Related Stories +
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Hutchins, Fortescue, The History of Cornwall, from the Earliest Records and Traditions to the Present Time. London: William Penaluna, 1824. Print