Montooth History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The chronicles of the Montooth family reach back into Scottish history to an ancient tribe known as the Picts. The ancestors of the Montooth family lived in Monteith in the southwest of the county of Perth.
Early Origins of the Montooth family
The surname Montooth was first found in Perthshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Montooth family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Montooth research. Another 106 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1322, and 1396 are included under the topic Early Montooth History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Montooth Spelling Variations
When the first dictionaries were invented in the last few hundred years, spelling gradually became standardized. Before that time, scribes spelled according to sound. Names were often recorded under different spelling variations every time they were written. Montooth has been written Monteath, Monteith, Menteath, Menteth, Menteith and others.
Early Notables of the Montooth family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Montooth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Montooth migration to the United States +
The crossing to North America did not seem so great in comparison with the hardships many Scots endured at home. It was long, expensive, and cramped, but also rewarding. North America offered land and the chance for settlers to prove themselves in a new place. And many did prove themselves as they fought to forge a new nation in the American War of Independence. The ancestors of those Scots can now experience much of their once-lost heritage through the Clan societies and highland games that have sprung up across North America in the last century. A search of immigration and passenger lists revealed many important, early immigrants to North America bearing the name of Montooth:
Montooth Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Adley Montooth, who landed in America in 1795 
Montooth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert Montooth, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1838 
- William Montooth, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848 
- John Montooth, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)