Mixon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the Mixon family stretch back to the Strathclyde people of the Scottish/English Borderlands, who were the first to use their surname. It is derived from the personal name Nicholas, which was Nik, or Nikke in Old English.
Early Origins of the Mixon family
The surname Mixon was first found in Cumberland where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Mixon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mixon research. Another 95 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1588, 1662, 1646 and 1653 are included under the topic Early Mixon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mixon Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Nixon, Nicksoun, Nickson, Nicheson, Nickson and others.
Early Notables of the Mixon family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Robert Nixon, English legendary prophet of Cheshire, however, many accounts about him appear to be in conflict with each other, it is generally...
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mixon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Mixon is the 2,174th most popular surname with an estimated 14,922 people with that name. 
Migration of the Mixon family to Ireland
Some of the Mixon family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 70 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mixon migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mixon Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Mixon, who arrived in Virginia in 1650 
- Thomas Mixon, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1685 
- John Mixon, who landed in Virginia in 1695 
Mixon Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Robert Mixon, aged 48, who settled in America from Paisley, in 1901
- Lidie Mixon, who landed in America, in 1906
- J. H. Mixon, aged 32, who immigrated to the United States, in 1909
- Mary Mixon, aged 40, who immigrated to America, in 1914
- AsBerry E. Mixon, aged 54, who immigrated to the United States, in 1915
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Mixon (post 1700) +
- Joseph Tyler "Joe" Mixon (b. 1996), American football running back for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League (NFL)
- Kenneth Jermaine "Kenny" Mixon (b. 1975), American former National Football League (NFL) defensive end for the Minnesota Vikings and the Miami Dolphins
- Terry Mixon (b. 1964), American science fiction author of the Empire of Bones and the Humanity Unlimited series
- Daniel Asbury "Danny" Mixon (b. 1949), American jazz pianist
- Forest Orion "Mick" Mixon III, American play-by-play radio voice announcer for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League
- Autry DeWalt Mixon Jr. (1931-1995), known professionally as Junior Walker, an American multi-instrumentalist who recorded for Motown during the 1960s, saxophonist with the band Foreigner during the 1980s
- Myron Mixon (b. 1962), American celebrity chef and competitor on the competitive barbecue circuit, five-time barbecue World Champion
- Jamal Mixon (b. 1983), American comedy actor, best known for his role as Ernie Klump Jr. in the film The Nutty Professor, and its sequel, Nutty Professor II: The Klumps, younger brother of actor Jerod Mixon
- Katy Mixon (b. 1981), American actress, known for her roles in films such as The Quiet (2005), Four Christmases (2008), and State of Play (2009) and Eastbound & Down (2009–2013)
- Jerod Mixon (b. 1981), American actor, comedian, producer and writer, best known for portraying Weensie in Old School, older brother of actor Jamal Mixon
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Mixon +
- The Mixon-Mixson Family by John Leslie Mixson.
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)