on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Minter family come from? What is the English Minter family crest and coat of arms? When did the Minter family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Minter family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Minster, Minsterchamber and others.
First found in Dorset where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Minter research. Another 289 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1189, 1455, 1487, 1575, and 1610 are included under the topic Early Minter History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Minter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Minter Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Desire Minter, who landed in Massachusetts in 1620
- Jon Minter, who landed in Virginia in 1635
- Richard Minter, who landed in Virginia in 1635
- David Minter, who arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Grace Minter, who arrived in Virginia in 1636
Minter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Fredk Minter, aged 22, landed in New York, NY in 1847
Minter Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Eleanor Minter arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Brothers" in 1850
- Henry Minter arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Blundell" in 1851
Minter Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Minter arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cairngorm" in 1863
- Kelly Jo Minter (b. 1966), American actress
- General Billy Martin Minter (1926-2005), American Air Force officer, former deputy commander in chief, United States Air Forces in Europe
- Barry Antoine Minter (b. 1970), American former NFL football linebacker who played from 1993 to 2001
- Cedric Alwyn Minter (b. 1958), American former professional CFL football player, recipient of the 1981 Frank M. Gibson Trophy
- Kristin Minter (b. 1965), American actress
- James Kirby Minter (1929-2009), American gold medalist basketball player at the 1954 World Championships
- Mary Miles Minter (1902-1984), born Juliet Reilly, an American actress who appeared in 54 silent era pictures from 1912 to 1923
- John R. Minter, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Johannesburg, 1921-22; U.S. Consul in Breslau, 1926; Bahia, 1927
- Gary Minter, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from North Carolina 2nd District, 2002
- Marvin Minter, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Virginia, 1940
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
The Minter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Minter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 November 2015 at 11:21.
on orders of $85 or more