Millon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Irish surnames are all based on the Gaelic language native to Ireland. The original Gaelic form of the name Millon is O Meallain, which is derived from the word meall, which means pleasant.
Early Origins of the Millon family
The surname Millon was first found in County Tyrone (Irish:Tír Eoghain), the ancient territory of the O'Neills, now in the Province of Ulster, central Northern Ireland, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Millon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Millon research. Another 80 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Millon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Millon Spelling Variations
A name was often recorded during the Middle Ages under several different spelling variations during the life of its bearer because literacy was rare there was no real push to clearly define any of the languages found in the British Isles at that time. Variations found of the name Millon include Mallon, O'Mallon, O'Malin, O'Mellan, Malin, Mellan and many more.
Early Notables of the Millon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Millon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In France, the name Millon is the 2,521st most popular surname with an estimated 2,500 - 3,000 people with that name. 
| Millon migration to the United States ||+|
Death and immigration greatly reduced Ireland's population in the 19th century. For the native Irish people poverty, hunger, and racial prejudice was common. Therefore, thousands left their homeland to seek opportunity in North America. Those who survived the journey and the quarantine camps to which they arrived, were instrumental towards building the strong developing nations of the United States and the future Canada. By far, the largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine during the late 1840s. These were employed as construction or factory workers. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name Millon:
Millon Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jean Millon, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1764 
Millon Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Pio Millon, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1875 
| Millon migration to Canada ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Millon Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Mr. Pierre Millon, French settler travelling to Canada for work arriving on 9th May 1643 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Millon (post 1700) ||+|
- Henri Millon de Motherlant (1896-1972), French novelist and playwright
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Debien, Gabriel. Liste Des Engagés Pour Le Canada Au XVIIe Siècle. Vol. 6, Laval University, 1952. (Retreived 24th May 2018). Retrieved from https://lebloguedeguyperron.wordpress.com/2016/06/30/130-liste-des-contrats-dengagement-pour-la-nouvelle-france-releves-a-la-rochelle-entre-1634-et-1679/