Mendham History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Mendham family
The surname Mendham was first found in Suffolk where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book,  indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Mandham, held by Roger Malet, a Norman noble who was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086.
Early History of the Mendham family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mendham research. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1195, 1510, 1600 and 1449 are included under the topic Early Mendham History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mendham Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mendham, Mendam, Mendeham and others.
Early Notables of the Mendham family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Mendham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mendham migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mendham Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Mendham, who settled in Philadelphia in 1846
- Richard Mendham, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1848
- E. Mendham, who settled in San Francisco in 1853
Historic Events for the Mendham family +
- Mr. Frederick G Mendham (b. 1923), English Boy 1st Class serving for the Royal Navy from Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England, who sailed into battle and died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ H.M.S. Hood Association-Battle Cruiser Hood: Crew Information - H.M.S. Hood Rolls of Honour, Men Lost in the Sinking of H.M.S. Hood, 24th May 1941. (Retrieved 2016, July 15) . Retrieved from http://www.hmshood.com/crew/memorial/roh_24may41.htm