. The original Gaelic form of the name Mellynd is O Meallain, which is derived from the word meall, which means pleasant.
(Irish:Tír Eoghain), the ancient territory of the O'Neills, now in the Province of
from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mellynd research.Another 80 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mellynd History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Within the archives researched, many different spelling variations
of the surname Mellynd were found. These included One reason for the many variations is that scribes and church officials often spelled an individual's name as it sounded. This imprecise method often led to many versions. Mallon, O'Mallon, O'Malin, O'Mellan, Malin, Mellan and many more.
During the 19th century thousands of impoverished Irish families
made the long journey to British North America and the United States. These people were leaving a land that had become beset with poverty, lack of opportunity, and hunger. In North America, they hoped to find land, work, and political and religious freedoms. Although the majority of the immigrants that survived the long sea passage did make these discoveries, it was not without much perseverance and hard work: by the mid-19th century land suitable for agriculture was short supply, especially in British North America, in the east; the work available was generally low paying and physically taxing construction or factory work; and the English stereotypes concerning the Irish, although less frequent and vehement, were, nevertheless, present in the land of freedom, liberty, and equality for all men. The largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine
during the late 1840s. Research into passenger and immigration lists has brought forth evidence of the early members of the Mellynd family in North America: Edward, James, Patrick, William Malin, who all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860; Michael, and Richard Mallen arrived in Philadelphia in 1834.