Mellott History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Mellott family
The surname Mellott was first found in Ile-de-France, at Mellun, a commune in the Seine-et-Marne department. One of the first records of the name was Robert of Melun (c. 1100-1167), an English-born, scholastic Christian theologian who taught in Mellun, France. Little is known of him other than he studied under Peter Abelard and Hugh of St. Victor at the University of Paris and by 1137, he was a teacher in the school on Mont Ste-Genevieve. He was later involved in the Council of Reims in 1148. After teaching in Paris for 40 years, he was recalled to England by King Henry II in 1160, and was appointed Bishop of Hereford in 1163.
Important Dates for the Mellott family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mellott research. Another 185 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1302, 1465, 1634, 1721, 1598 and 1688 are included under the topic Early Mellott History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mellott Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Melun, Mellun, Mellon, Melon, Meluns, Melluns, Melune, Melunes, Mellune and many more.
Early Notables of the Mellott family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Mellott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mellott migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mellott Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William Mellott, aged 19, who landed in America from Headford, in 1900
- Andrew Mellott, who landed in America, in 1904
- Samuel Mellott, aged 40, who immigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Carl Edward Mellott, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1921
- C. E. Mellott, aged 29, who immigrated to America, in 1922
Contemporary Notables of the name Mellott (post 1700)
- John Mellott, American postmaster, eponym of Mellott, Indiana
- Arthur Johnson Mellott (1888-1957), United States federal judge