on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Melendez family come from? What is the Spanish Melendez family crest and coat of arms? When did the Melendez family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Melendez family history?The distinguished surname Melendez comes from Spain, a country rich in culture and history.The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. Some names are derived from the saints of the Christian Church, but many Spanish surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. The Visigoths, who ruled Spain between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries had a profound impact on the development of surnames.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ménendez, Menendez, Méndez, Mendez, Meléndez, Melendez, Ménez, Menez and many more.
First found in Asturias, birthplace of the Reconquest.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Melendez research. Another 199 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1579, 1659, 1622 and 1634 are included under the topic Early Melendez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 157 words(11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Melendez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Melendez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Salvador Melendez, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1809
- Pedro Melendez, who arrived in America in 1812
- Francisco Melendez, who arrived in America in 1812
- Diego Melendez, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Gregorio Melendez, who arrived in Peru in 1834
Melendez Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Armando Melendez, aged 5, who landed in America from Napoli, in 1907
- Arminita G. Melendez, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Colon, Panama, in 1908
- Antonio Melendez, aged 6, who landed in America, in 1908
- Antonio Melendez, aged 11, who settled in America from Santiago, Cuba, in 1908
- Carlos Melendez, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1917
- José Cuauhtémoc "Bill" Meléndez (1916-2008), Mexican-American character animator and film director
- Gilbert Melendez (b. 1982), American mixed martial artist
- John Edward Melendez (b. 1965), American television writer
- Lisette Melendez (b. 1967), American freestyle /Latin pop /dance-pop singer
- Luis Antonio Meléndez (b. 1949), former Major League Baseball outfielder
- Elizabeth Melendez (b. 1985), American actress and former model
- Adolfo Meléndez (b. 1884), Spanish footballer who founded, and then became President of, Real Madrid
- Luis Egidio Meléndez (1716-1780), Spanish painter
- Rodrigo David Meléndez (b. 1977), Chilean football player
- José Luis Meléndez (b. 1965), former pitcher in Major League Baseball from Puerto Rico
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Melendez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Melendez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 December 2014 at 00:04.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more