on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Spanish Melendez family come from? What is the Spanish Melendez family crest and coat of arms? When did the Melendez family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Melendez family history?The distinguished surname Melendez comes from Spain, a country rich in culture and history.The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and the most common patronymic suffix is ez. The patronyms were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins. Some names are derived from the saints of the Christian Church, but many Spanish surnames are derived from personal names of Germanic origin. The Visigoths, who ruled Spain between the mid-5th and early 8th centuries had a profound impact on the development of surnames.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ménendez, Menendez, Méndez, Mendez, Meléndez, Melendez, Ménez, Menez and many more.
First found in Asturias, birthplace of the Reconquest.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Melendez research. Another 199 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1579, 1659, 1622 and 1634 are included under the topic Early Melendez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 157 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Melendez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Melendez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Salvador Melendez, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1809
- Pedro Melendez, who arrived in America in 1812
- Francisco Melendez, who arrived in America in 1812
- Diego Melendez, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1829
- Gregorio Melendez, who arrived in Peru in 1834
Melendez Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Armando Melendez, aged 5, who landed in America from Napoli, in 1907
- Arminita G. Melendez, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Colon, Panama, in 1908
- Antonio Melendez, aged 6, who landed in America, in 1908
- Antonio Melendez, aged 11, who settled in America from Santiago, Cuba, in 1908
- Carlos Melendez, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1917
- Elizabeth Melendez (b. 1985), American actress and former model
- Luis Antonio Meléndez (b. 1949), former Major League Baseball outfielder
- Lisette Melendez (b. 1967), American freestyle /Latin pop /dance-pop singer
- John Edward Melendez (b. 1965), American television writer
- Gilbert Melendez (b. 1982), American mixed martial artist
- José Cuauhtémoc "Bill" Meléndez (1916-2008), Mexican-American character animator and film director
- Loida Meléndez, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Puerto Rico, 2008
- Carmen Melendez, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1996
- Brian Melendez, American Democrat politician, Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor State Chair, 2008; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 2008
- Arlan D. Melendez, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Nevada, 2008
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Melendez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Melendez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 January 2016 at 09:49.
on orders of $85 or more