on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Meder family come from? When did the Meder family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Meder family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Meador, Meader, Meadur, Medur, Medor, Meder, Medder and many more.
First found in Oxfordshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1180 when Alexander Meader held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Meder research. Another 273 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1332, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Meder History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Meder Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Meder Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Meder, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Catherine Meder, aged 13, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733
- George Meder, aged 8, landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Hendrick Meder, aged 52, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Henry Meder, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
Meder Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Meder, who landed in Texas in 1845
- B H Meder, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Michael Meder, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1875
- Johannes Meder, who arrived in Kansas in 1876
- John Meder, who landed in Kansas in 1876
Meder Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William Frederic Meder, who landed in Alabama in 1919
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
This page was last modified on 23 September 2010 at 15:36.
on orders of $85 or more