Mechem History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Mechem family
The surname Mechem was first found in Shropshire where the family name was first referenced in the 12th century when Richard, son of Mescelin, held the estates in 1187. He is believed to be descended from William de Meschines, younger brother of Ranulph, 3rd Earl of Chester, who was descended from the Viscounts of Bessin, in the Department of Calvados in Normandy, and who held the honor of Skipton, in Yorkshire, from Richard Banistre, a Norman Baron of Cheshire who also held lands in Capite in Shropshire. Robert is mentioned as witness to a deed in 1106. There is also a vague relationship to Robert of Rhudlan, kinsman of Duke William. Richard, descendent of William, who was an under-tenant in Shropshire in 1187.
Up in Cumberland, more early records of the family were found. "The township lies between the river Ehen on the east, and the Irish Sea on the west, and contains the venerable remains of Egremont Castle, built soon after the Conquest by William de Meschines, the first Baron of Copeland, and still exhibiting traces of strength and grandeur." 
Early History of the Mechem family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mechem research. Another 191 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1203, 1455, 1487, 1510, 1600, 1165, 1811, 1611, 1679, 1660, 1172 and are included under the topic Early Mechem History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Mechem Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Mascelin, Maskelyne, Maskelyne, Masculine, Masculyne, Maslen, Maslin, Mechen, Meshin, Machine, Miskin, Meskin, Meschine and many more.
Early Notables of the Mechem family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mechem Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mechem family to Ireland
Some of the Mechem family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 102 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Mechem family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Mechem (post 1700) +
- Merrit Cramer Mechem (1870-1946), American Republican politician, Member New Mexico territorial council, 1909; District Judge in New Mexico, 1911-20; Governor of New Mexico, 1921-23 
- Horace M. Mechem, American politician, Candidate for Circuit Judge in Michigan 37th Circuit, 1950 
- Edwin Leard Mechem (1912-2002), American Republican politician, Member of New Mexico State House of Representatives, 1947-48; Governor of New Mexico, 1951-55, 1957-59, 1961-62 
- Edwin Mechem, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Arkansas 4th District, 1908 
- C. Stanley Mechem, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1956, 1960, 1964 
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html