on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish Meaney family come from? What is the Irish Meaney family crest and coat of arms? When did the Meaney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Meaney family history?Gaelic, otherwise known as Early Modern Irish, was used in Ireland from around the year 1200 until the 18th century. It is from this language that we found the first references to the name Meaney as O Maonaigh. This is derived from the word maonach, meaning wealthy.
A name was often recorded during the Middle Ages under several different spelling variations during the life of its bearer because literacy was rare there was no real push to clearly define any of the languages found in the British Isles at that time. Variations found of the name Meaney include Mooney, Moony, O'Mooney, Meeny, O'Meany, Meany, O'Meeny, O'Mainy, Meaney and many more.
First found in County Offaly (Irish: Uíbh Fháilí) originally the Kingdom of Uí Failghe, located in central Ireland in the Province of Leinster, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Meaney research. Another 383 words (27 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Meaney History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Meaney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Meaney Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Ann Meaney, aged 22, landed in Quebec in 1833
Meaney Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Meaney, aged 21, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Time and Truth"
- Mr. George Peter Meaney (d. 1915), American 3rd Class passenger from Thomas, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking and was recovered
- Kevin Gerard Meaney (b. 1956), American stand-up comedian and actor
- William S. Meaney, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Connecticut, 1932
- John J. Meaney, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Orange and West Haven, 1940
- J. Clifford Meaney, American Democrat politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Bridgeport; Elected 1930
- Colm J. Meaney (b. 1953), Irish actor second only to Michael Dorn in most appearances in Star Trek episodes
- John Meaney (b. 1957), British science fiction author
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
The Meaney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Meaney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 November 2015 at 19:17.
on orders of $85 or more