on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Meador family come from? When did the Meador family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Meador family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Meador, Meader, Meadur, Medur, Medor, Meder, Medder and many more.
First found in Oxfordshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1180 when Alexander Meader held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Meador research. Another 273 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1332, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Meador History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Meador Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Meador Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Henry Meador, aged 34, who emigrated to America, in 1909
- Jack Meador, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1914
- Bertha Meador, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1914
- Eddie Doyle Meador (b. 1937), former professional American football defensive back
- Joshua Meador (1911-1965), American animator, special effects artist, and animation director for the Disney studio
- Marynell Meador (b. 1943), women's basketball coach at the college and professional level
- Billie Meador (b. 1963), American professional baseball player
- The Meaders Family, North Georgia Potter by Ralph Rinzler.
- Our Meador Families in Colonial America by Victor P.Meador.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
This page was last modified on 20 June 2012 at 08:53.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more