The sea-swept Hebrides
islands and the west coast of Scotland
, made up the ancient Dalriadan kingdom, the ancestral home of the McVitie family. Their name comes from Veaty. Mac
means son of. MacVitti,
therefore, means son of Vitti.
Over time, the spelling of the name has changed, which is why the MacVitti is descended from Veaty.
Early Origins of the McVitie family
The surname McVitie was first found in Ayrshire
, and Galloway
where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Scotland
to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the McVitie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McVitie research.Another 239 words (17 lines of text) covering the year 1685 is included under the topic Early McVitie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McVitie Spelling Variations
Many spelling variations
of McVitie have been recorded over the years, including These are the result of the medieval practice of spelling according to sound and repeated translation between Gaelic and English. MacVittie, MacVittye, MacVittae, MacWittie, MacWitty and many more.
Early Notables of the McVitie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McVitie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McVitie family to the New World and Oceana
Many who arrived from Scotland
settled along the east coast of North America in communities that would go on to become the backbones of the young nations of the United States and Canada. In the American War of Independence
, many settlers who remained loyal to England
went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. Their descendants later began to recover the lost Scottish heritage through events such as the highland games that dot North America in the summer months. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the McVitie family emigrate to North America:
McVitie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- McVitie, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1895
McVitie Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Jessie C. McVitie, aged 40, who settled in America from Lancashire, in 1905
- Mabel M. McVitie, aged 13, who emigrated to the United States from Lancashire, in 1905
- William Atkins McVitie, aged 44, who landed in America from Lancashire, in 1905
- Ethel Mabel McVitie, aged 14, who settled in America from Galveston, in 1906
- Jessie McVitie, aged 44, who landed in America from London, England, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name McVitie (post 1700)
- Robert McVitie (1809-1883), Scottish baker and confectioner, founder of McVitie's Biscuits
- George James McVitie (b. 1948), English footballer from Carlisle, Cumberland