McQuary History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
On the Scottish west coast, the McQuary family was born among the ancient Dalriadan clans. Their name comes from Guaire, an old Gaelic personal name meaning noble or proud.
Early Origins of the McQuary family
The surname McQuary was first found in on the Isle of Ulva, where they were originally a branch of the 'Siol Alpin,' the descendants of Kenneth Mac Alpin, founder and first king of Scotland during the 9th century.
Important Dates for the McQuary family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McQuary research. Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1630, 1778, 1818, 103. and 103. are included under the topic Early McQuary History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McQuary Spelling Variations
In various documents McQuary has been spelled Since medieval scribes still spelled according to sound, records from that era contain an enormous number of spelling variations. MacQuarrie, MacQuarie, MacQuarry, McQuarrie, McQuarry, MacQuerry, MacCorrie, MacCorry, MacQuarrey, MacWharrie and many more.
Early Notables of the McQuary family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McQuary Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McQuary family to Ireland
Some of the McQuary family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 60 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McQuary migration to the United States
Significant portions of the populations of both the United States and Canada are still made up of the ancestors of Dalriadan families. Some of those in Canada originally settled the United States, but went north as United Empire Loyalists in the American War of Independence. The late 19th and early 20th centuries saw the ancestors of many Scots on both sides of the border begin to recover their collective national heritage through Clan societies and highland games. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
McQuary Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mary McQuary, who landed in New York, NY in 1739 
McQuary Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John and Anne McQuary, who settled in New York in 1804
Contemporary Notables of the name McQuary (post 1700)
- George F. McQuary, American Internet contributor in the 1990s who established the eponymous McQuary 80 character limit for a signature
- Michael McQuary, American sound engineer, known for his work on My Favorite Person to Talk to (2011), Love Between the Lines (2010) and Downtown (1999)
- Chuck McQuary, American actor, known for Singles (1992), Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me and Purple Haze (1982)
- Charles McQuary (1908-1970), American actor, known for his work on The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962), The Music Man (1962) and Ride the High Country (1962)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)