The west coast of Scotland
and the rocky Hebrides
islands are the ancient home of the McPharlin family. The root of their name is the personal name Parlan,
which is the Gaelic equivalent of Bartholomew.
The Gaelic form of the name is Mac Pharlain.
Early Origins of the McPharlin family
The surname McPharlin was first found in Aberdeenshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland
, where they were descended from the ancient Chief Allan, son of Farlane and settled in Strathdonn in Aberdeenshire
about the 9th century.
Early History of the McPharlin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McPharlin research.Another 313 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1395, 1395 and are included under the topic Early McPharlin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McPharlin Spelling Variations
Spelling and translation were not standardized practices until the last few centuries. Spelling variations
are extremely common among early Scottish names. McPharlin has been spelled MacFarlane, MacFarlain, MacFarlan, MacFarland, MacParlan, MacParland, MacPartland, MacPartlin, MacPharlane, MacPharlin, MacPharlan and many more.
Early Notables of the McPharlin family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McPharlin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McPharlin family to Ireland
Some of the McPharlin family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 87 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McPharlin family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McPharlin Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- J. McPharlin, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839 CITATION[CLOSE]
State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) LYSANDER 1839. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1839Lysander.htm
- D. McPharlin, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duncan" in 1849 CITATION[CLOSE]
State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) The DUNCAN 1849 . Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1849Duncan.htm
Contemporary Notables of the name McPharlin (post 1700)
- Paul McPharlin (1903-1948), American puppeteer; a permanent display of his work can be seen at the Detroit Institute of Art
- Marjorie Batchelder McPharlin (1903-1997), American puppeteer and author of The Puppet Theatre Handbook, wife of Paul McPharlin
- Frank J. McPharlin, American politician, Mayor of St. Clair Shores, Michigan, 1971-81
- Walter Raymond "Ray" McPharlin (1916-1991), Australian politician, Country Party member for Mount Marshall in the Western Australian Legislative Assembly (1967-1983)
- Luke McPharlin (b. 1981), former professional Australian rules footballer