McNorton History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Picts of ancient Scotland were the tribe of the ancestors of the McNorton family. The name McNorton is derived from the Pictish name Nechtan. The Gaelic form of the name is Mac Neachdainn, which means son of Nechtan.
Early Origins of the McNorton family
The surname McNorton was first found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute, where they held lands at Lochow and Loch Fyne, called Glenera, Glenshira, and Glen Fyne.
Early History of the McNorton family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McNorton research. Another 193 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1247, 1431, 1438, 1565, 1614, 1627, and 1691 are included under the topic Early McNorton History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McNorton Spelling Variations
Scribes in the Middle Ages did not have access to a set of spelling rules. They spelled according to sound, the result was a great number of spelling variations. In various documents, McNorton has been spelled MacNaughton, McNachton, MacNaghten, MacNechten, Notton, Norton and many more.
Early Notables of the McNorton family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McNorton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the McNorton family to Ireland
Some of the McNorton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McNorton migration to the United States +
The cruelties suffered under the new government forced many to leave their ancient homeland for the freedom of the North American colonies. Those who arrived safely found land, freedom, and opportunity for the taking. These hardy settlers gave their strength and perseverance to the young nations that would become the United States and Canada. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the name McNorton:
McNorton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew McNorton, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1856 
Contemporary Notables of the name McNorton (post 1700) +
- Bexx McNorton, American makeup artist, known for her work on Someone to Carry Me (2015)
- Helayne McNorton, American second wife of Red Buttons, the American comedian and actor
- Bruce McNorton (b. 1959), American NFL football player for the Detroit Lions (1982-1990)
- H. S. McNorton, American politician, Candidate for Michigan State Senate 7th District, 1910
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)