McNay History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The spelling and overall form of Irish names tend to vary widely. The original Gaelic form of the name McNay is Mac Neidhe, which is derived from the word niadh, which means champion.
Early Origins of the McNay family
The surname McNay was first found in County Down (Irish:An Dún) part of the Province of Ulster, in Northern Ireland, formerly known as county St Mirren, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the McNay family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McNay research. Another 112 words (8 lines of text) covering the year 1037 is included under the topic Early McNay History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
McNay Spelling Variations
The recording of names in Ireland in the Middle Ages was an inconsistent endeavor at best due to competing dialects and languages, and the general illiteracy of the population. Research into the name McNay revealed many spelling variations, including MacNee, MacNea, MacNay, MacKnee, MacNeigh, MacNia, Nee, Knee and many more.
Early Notables of the McNay family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early McNay Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| McNay migration to the United States ||+|
Ireland experienced a dramatic decrease in its population during the late 19th century. This was in a great measure, a response to England's imperialistic policies. Hunger and disease took the lives of many Irish people and many more chose to leave their homeland to escape such hunger and disease. North America with its promise of work, freedom, and land was an extremely popular destination for Irish families. For those families that survived the journey, all three of these things were were often attained through much hard work and perseverance. Research into early immigration and passenger lists revealed many immigrants bearing the name McNay:
McNay Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alexander McNay, who settled in San Francisco in 1852
|Contemporary Notables of the name McNay (post 1700) ||+|
- Donald Joseph "Don" McNay (1959-2016), American chartered financial consultant and financial author, a The Huffington Post contributor
- Marion Koogler McNay (1883-1950), American painter and art teacher
- Leah McNay, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 2000
- John McNay, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 1996
- Jennifer McNay, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 2004